Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Parenting? What's that about?

A long time ago, before Kevin and I became parents, we thought we knew all there was to know about raising children. Yet, come to think of it, we still do. Everyday, we figure out, we know absolutely NOTHING! I remember thinking to myself when I saw children misbehaving in restaurants or shopping places, that mama just needs to give him a good whoopin'! Kevin and I swore that our children wouldn't behave like that. Oh, so the time passes and a couple of kids later, yes, our children behave "like that".
It's sad really, that there is no perfect discipline action that will work 100% of the time. We've done everything the books tell you to do. As a matter of fact, I'm reading The Strong-Willed Child by James Dobson right now to learn more about what I'm doing wrong.
We call Jordan our "strong-willed child" or "free spirit" but all it really amounts to is B-A-D. He is certainly not bad all the time. It just shows up when he's out of our reach. You know, like at school or church where other people have to discipline him. Then we get the brunt of his teacher's frustration with him, which causes us frustration. The boy is only four years old and I've already had two encounters with the principal because of his unruly behavior. One time in person, the other over the phone. His first disobedient act was pushing his way into a spot in the line that he was not supposed to be in. When the teacher attempted to move him, he snatched his arm from her hand and took off running. Smart, reeeal smart. Therefore, he had to spend the afternoon with the principal. The second occurrence started early in the morning when Jordan was sitting at his table with his friends doing an activity. He felt the need to say "poot". Well, the teacher told him that was not polite and to quit saying it. After seeing the attention he got from saying that four letter word, he starting making a sing-song out of it. Poot, poot, poot..poo, poo, poo, poot! Yep, this time I got a phone call and had to "talk" to Jordan over the phone while he sat in the Principal's office. Just yesterday, I asked how his day at school went. He said, "it was okay, I played at circle time though." UGH! When will he learn???
We just keep trying and trying to work with him...spankings, time-outs, talks, restrictions. All of the above, we do it and will continue. I forgot to mention that yes, we pray daily for our strong-willed child. I'm holding on to hope that God will do a mighty work in our little Jordan's heart. Once he does, then Jordan can use all of his strength for God and what God would have him do! Until then, we trudge on in the dark crevices of this thing we've been blessed to partake in called parenthood. The not-knowing and the learning that comes along with it!

No comments: