Sunday, September 21, 2008

Have a New Kid by Friday?


Well, will the parents really have a new kid by Friday? I bought this book last weekend in hopes to have not just one but two new kids by Friday! As I've written before we have a very strong willed little J. T-Man is more laid back and obedient but he has the occasional defiant streak. So, as we left a rough week of school with J, I saw a coupon in the Lifeway ad for this book. I thought to myself, "Self, let's use this coupon and see what kind of kid I'll have after reading the book." Of course, with any self help the reader must apply action to the principals so I knew it would take more than just reading the book to see a new kid. This was an easy read. I finished it the same day I bought it. It also has real life scenarios and applications to common problems families face with children. I also liked that it had applications for young children and teenagers. However, the problem I have with the book is that most of the "help" is not brand new or surprising. It's actually what many parents already do but just put into a nice bulleted list of chapters labeled by days of the week. For instance on Monday, you tell your child one time to stop doing whatever or no to his desire (that he really doesn't need) and then you walk away from your screaming, complaining child. It doesn't matter where you are, home, Wendy's or the mall. If J is pleading for the batman toy, I'm supposed to say no (ONE TIME) and walk on away from him. I tried this and it actually worked. J was pleading that same night for me to stay in his room, "for jus a wittle bit" because he was scared. I told him no and walked away. He proceeded to call "mom" for about 4 minutes straight getting louder and louder, "mom, mom, mom, mom". You get the idea. All the while, T-Man is sleeping and I'm in the living room begging the book...can I please tell him to stop, he's going to wake T-Man and then it'll get really BAD?! Well, the book doesn't really say, so I took liberties and told him to stop. Rule #1 broken. No new kid by Friday. On Tuesday, you are supposed to follow this rule of thumb, Plan B doesn't happen until A is complete. Okay, this has to do with punishment/consequences. So if J tells me he loves me zero (he's done this before), then I am supposed to not grant his next request for the entire day. I am also supposed to 'wait' until he requests (maybe to watch that movie) something and let him know, "you said something hurtful to mommy and I won't let you watch that movie". Even if he says sorry, there are no second chances. For the full day, he cannot receive his request. I like this idea, I must admit I haven't tried it simply because I can't remember to do it. Maybe if I can remember I'll update on how this goes. Wednesday, mom is supposed to change her attitude, behavior, and character. If I yell, I need to stop. If I threaten, I am not supposed to do it anymore. I'm supposed to show kindness, respect, ect. You get the idea. Change me and it'll change my kid. So I've actually taken steps to not yell anymore. It's working. I did threaten at the last soccer game, though. Oops! I told Jordan, if he didn't support his team, he would get a spanking. Looking back, if I followed the steps in the book, I should've taken him home. Of course, the book doesn't tell you what to do when the team might need that extra (albeit grumpy- lazy) player. Thursday....well, I can't remember what to do on Thursday. Have to go back and read that chapter. And Friday the mommy is supposed to unleash the fun.

So, my recommendation on this book. Check it out from the library, don't buy it. If it fits the bill for your parenting style, use it...implement some of the practices. If it doesn't, then guess what ,you'll still be doing the hardest job on planet Earth. My opinion, the good Lord knows what is really the best bet for having a new Kid by Friday...prayer and bible scripture!

"Train up a child in the way they should go, and they will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

No comments: