Thursday, May 8, 2008

Changes...for the better with God's help!

Recently, God has shown me how much of a healer he is. It has come through an unlikely place...email! One of my grandmother's has a son who has battled drug addiction. Through his poems, he has shared the struggles of a life addicted to substances and the healing power of our Heavenly Father. It was only a few weeks ago that the Lord reminded me through Bible study, that HE is the only source of Peace. Without him, we can have no peace or healing. "For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility." Eph. 2:14 (NIV) Please take a minute or two and read this poem, Mary's son allowed me to share. It's inspiring and to quote him, "...that's why I write them [poems] is to help people...maybe someones lost soul can see the light as I have..."!

Changes
By: Brian Watts
April 30, 2008

Let me start by saying I’m not proud of the way I lived
God has shown me some things about my life, A story is what I have to give

I can tell you about partying, playing pool, hanging out in bars
Never once praying or even noticing the stars

Or I can tell you of drinking and doing drugs, running off my wife
Or not caring about anything, not even my children or what they’re doing in their life

As the months pass us by, I’m sure my story will change
The more God comes into my life, the more pain He takes from my brain

He is a wonderful God and has mysterious ways
He’s teaching me so many things each and every day

He’s taken away my desires of the drugs and drinking
Now I spend a lot of time reading his words and thinking

He’s blessed me with a Mom and Dad who have a lot of love to share
The way they support my ideas and me, it shows me that they care

In my old life I couldn’t wait for the day to be through
Now I savor the moment to talk with God, read his words too

Sometimes I would start my day with whiskey and for pain I took a pill
In my new life I start with a prayer, looking at God’s nature gives me a thrill

If you want your old life to be over
You don’t flip a coin or rub on a clover

You pray to God and ask him to come in
He’ll come into your life, forgive you your sins

Money, fame and riches I have not
A story of my life and the way God changed it is all I’ve got!

4 comments:

April said...

Jessica,
This is a beautiful poem. I am sorry for all that the family had to suffer to get him there but thank goodness it sounds like he has made it. The Lord really can change people in so many amazing ways. Say thank you to the both of them for allowing you to share his words. So many people have turned there lives around by moving there to burden to a higher power. I hope he is now also able to share in the lives of his children.

TTYL,
April

Cindy F. Johnson said...

Jessica,
Thanks for sharing this beautiful poem with us. It is quite evident that these words were inspired by God. Brian has truly been blessed, and is also truly a miracle. His recovery will definitely inspire and bless others.

Mary said...

iBrian is doing very well these days. He's raising goats, chickens and ducks. He's been sober now for 7 months and written close to 70 rhymes. He's doing some remodeling in the neighborhood and some for himself as well on our old place. Keeping busy is right up his alley. He needs to keep his mind busy.

Mary said...

Brian is doing fine now. He's 7 months sober. He's had two rhymes published - one in the Wagener Monthly Newspaper and one in a prayer group's newsletter. I'm very proud of his progress.

Brian's Mom